Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
recipe from the white house cookbook
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 large onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup chopped celery
- 1⁄2 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 lb ground beef
- 3⁄4 cup canned tomato
- 1⁄4 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 lb eggplant
- 1⁄4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 cup shreddled cheddar cheese
- heat half of the olive oil in a large skillet add the vegetablesame and cook over low heat for 10 minutes.
- add the beef and cook over medium heat until lightly browned pour off excess fat. STIR in tomatoes and seasonings.
- heat remaining olive oil and cook eggplant until lightly brown on both sides.
- in a casserole dish make 2 layers each of eggplant and meat mixture.
- mix bread crumbs with chedder cheese and sprinkle on top of casserole.
- bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes at 350.
This dish was tasty but I added extra onion,peppers,tomatoes and seaonings. Next time I would add garlic, zuchinni and parmean cheese to the meat mixture. I served the casserole over some plain rice.
A terrific eggplant casserole! I made this without meat, just using the eggplant in place of the protein and was a wonderfully warm to the soul casserole. I used my own tomato and basil and thyme from the garden. Put a 2 percent cheddar cheese and baked it easily in the oven. Quick and the taste fabulous! Enjoyed this a lot and will use again. Thank you, lena! Made for PAC 2008.