Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
When I was a little girl, I used to love the eggplant casserole at Luby's Cafeteria. This is pretty similar.
- 2 cups eggplants, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (4 ounce) jar pimientos
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 (6 ounce) package Stove Top stuffing mix
- salt and pepper
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- Melt butter.
- In large bowl, mix together eggplant, celery, bell peppers, onion, soup, pimientos, eggs, butter (melted) salt and pepper to taste.
- Add Stove Top, mixing everything together thoroughly.
- Place in 9 x 13 casserole, coated with nonstick cooking spray.
- Top with shredded cheese.
- Cover with tinfoil and bake at 350 for one hour.
I think this recipe is a bit misleading. You hardly notice the eggplant at all. It's more like a stuffing with vegetables. I added a little extra eggplant, but it was still masked by the stuffing. I always use recipe #278160 for the cream soups, so I used the mushroom version. This would be great to disguise eggplant for those who don't care for it. Thanx for sharing.
This was AWESOME. Even the leftovers were good. I only used a 2 oz. jar of pimientos and that was plenty. I also waited to put the cheese on until 30 minutes into the baking time. Next time I might try mixing 1/2 of the cheese into the casserole and putting the other 1/2 on top.
For those who think the taste of the eggplant is a little weak, you can always add more to your liking. One thing to remember is with casseroles you cane build it with just about anything you like. You only limited to you emmagination . Garner SCPO USN.