1/3 Photos of Eggplant Casserole
2 hrs 17 mins
1 hr 52 mins
Leslie in Texas's Note:
This is a delicious side dish for any roasted or broiled meat. Recipe is from the "The New York Times" cookbook by Craig Claiborne.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 large eggplant
- boiling water, salted
- 1/4 cup butter
- 4 large onions, peeled and sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 3/4 lb fresh mushrooms
- 4 large tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 green peppers, seeded and cut in strips
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon basil
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs, buttered with
- 1Preheat oven to 275 degrees.
- 2Peel the eggplant and cut into 1 inch-thick slices.
- 3Cover with boiling, salted water and simmer for 10 minutes; drain well.
- 4Melt the butter, add the onions and garlic and saute until lightly browned.
- 5Remove stems from the mushrooms and reserve for another use.
- 6Add mushroom caps to the onions and garlic and cook, stirring, an additional 5 minutes.
- 7Add the tomatoes, green peppers, salt, pepper, herbs and spices and simmer 10 minutes.
- 8Place alternating layers of eggplant and sauce in a buttered two-quart casserole.
- 9Cover with buttered crumbs and bake one and one-half hours.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Eggplant Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (319 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 192.4
- Calories from Fat 78
- Total Fat 8.7 g
- Saturated Fat 5.0 g
- Cholesterol 20.3 mg
- Sodium 891.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.8 g
- Sugars 11.9 g
- Protein 5.9 g