Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
http://www.elanaspantry.com/cooked-veggies/eggplant-caponata/ This dish is quick and easy. I got the idea for it the other day when my friend Martha said she had roasted eggplant with tomatoes and olives at a holiday party. It sounded delectable and I was off to the races. I think any kind of olives would work well in this delicious roasted vegetable dish. Enjoy!
- 1 medium eggplant, diced into 1/2-inch cubes (leave skin on)
- 1⁄2 cup cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 2 tablespoons kalamata olives, sliced in half
- 2 -4 tablespoons olive oil
- celtic sea salt
- In a large bowl, combine the eggplant, tomatoes, olives, olive oil and salt.
- Transfer mixture to a (9×13) glass oven proof baking dish.
- Bake at 350° for 35-45 minutes until eggplant is tender.
All you have to do is just sprinkle (like salt) any kind of sugar on the eggplant and the will not be bitter. This is my secret .
Very easy & simple. Since there is no sauce to mask the bitterness of the eggplant (which is accentuated by the bitterness of the kalamata), if I were to make this again I'd salt and press the eggplant beforehand to remove some of the bitterness.