Recipe by Aparna Anurag
Ennai kathirikkai kulambu is one most famous south Indian recipe.Tender eggplants are stuffed with the roasted masala mixture and shallow fried in oil to get it cooked and again it is simmered/cooked in masala tamarind gravy to get the traditional taste.
- 8 -10 baby eggplants, 8-10
- 1 onion, 1
- 1 teaspoon ginger-garlic paste, 1 tsp
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric, 1/4 tsp
- 2 tomatoes, 2
- 2 tablespoons coconut, 2 tbsp (grated)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder, 1 tbsp
- 1 tablespoon coriander powder, 1 tbsp
- oil, for fry
- 1⁄4 teaspoon mustard seeds, 1/4 tsp
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fenugreek seeds, 1/4 tsp
- 4 teaspoons red chili powder, 4 tsp
- curry leaf
- 1⁄4 cup tamarind juice, 1/4 cup
Directions See How It's Made
- 1).Heat oil in a pan add onions, salt, sauté it for 2 minutes then add ginger garlic paste, turmeric, add tomatoes, grated coconut, chilly powder, coriander powder, put the lid on and let it cook for 2 minutes then let it cool down, put it into the blender and make a paste.
- 2).Heat oil in a pan add mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds, red chilly, urad daal (optional), curry leaves, add the prepard paste of onion, tomato and coconut, mix this and put the lid on and let it cook for 5 to 6 minutes, add tamarind juice, water, mix it, add jaggery, once it comes to boil add fried baby egg plant, salt, mix it well and cook this for few minutes, then switch off the flame.
- 3).Serve this with rice or roti.