Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
From Cooking Light, this is an amazingly flavorful pasta dish. Only 1/2 lb. ground beef and a lot of healthy veggies. Definitely a great meal for a cool night!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 1⁄4 cups onions, chopped
- 3⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 1⁄2 lb ground sirloin
- 8 cups eggplants, chopped (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1⁄2 cup red wine
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes, undrained
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 10 ounces uncooked whole-wheat fettuccine
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil leaf, small
- Heat olive oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and beef; cook 10 minutes or until beef is browned, stirring to crumble beef. Add eggplant, garlic, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper; cook 20 minutes or until eggplant is very tender, stirring occasionally. Add tomato paste; cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add wine; cook 1 minute, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Add tomatoes; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally and breaking up the tomatoes as necessary. Add remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and red wine vinegar.
- Cook pasta according to package directions, adding 1 tablespoon kosher salt to cooking water. Drain. Toss pasta with sauce; sprinkle with basil leaves.
We all loved this bolognaise. I changed only one step: After cutting the eggplant I roasted it in the oven and then added to the sauce.
If somebody is vegetarian, this recipe would be great even without meat!
Thanks for posting this recipe. Done for ZWT7