Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This lasagna recipe eliminates the pasta and uses eggplant instead. It's easy and delicious AND lower carb!
- 4 medium eggplants, peeled (my preference but leave peel on if you like it)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄4 lbs ground beef
- 16 ounces ricotta cheese
- 8 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
- 4 ounces shredded parmesan cheese
- 15 1⁄4 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 4 ounces chopped garlic
- 8 ounces chopped onions
- 2 teaspoons italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon all purpose Greek seasoning
- salt or pepper
- Heat oven to 400 degrees, slice eggplant into ½ inch slices, coat with olive oil salt and pepper. Lie flat on cookie sheet and bake until tender (about 15 minutes).
- In small saucepan, sauté onion and garlic until tender. Add can crushed tomatoes with 1 tsp Italian seasoning. Simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Brown ground beef with 1 tsp greek seasoning, 1tsp Italian seasoning, add tomato sauce and stir through. Adjust with salt if needed.
- Reduce oven to 350 degrees. In 9x9 pyrex casserole dish, put layer of crushed tomato mixture and spread around on bottom, add layer of cooked eggplant, spread layer of ricotta cheese, add layer of beef, layer of mozzarella, and repeat all layers, ending with the layer of crushed tomatoes, topped by the parmesan cheese. Put in oven for 30 minutes until lightly browned on top. Let set for about 15 minutes before slicing. Delicious!