Recipe by Sydney Mike
This recipe is a specialty of Italy's southern regions! Preparation time does not include the hour needed for salted eggplant slices to drain.
Top Review by Debbwl
Mmmm! Really good. Made with low fat cheese and no bread crumbs. Love the fact that this was not as greasy as some eggplant parmesans. Even though I cut the recipe in half we got four good size servings out of it. Very good thanks for the post.
- 2 lbs eggplants
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped FINE
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 lb tomatoes, chopped, with juice
- 3 fresh basil leaves
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour, for coating
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, for frying
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 14 ounces mozzarella cheese, sliced THIN
- 1 dash salt
- 1 dash pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut eggplant into 1/2-inch slices, then sprinkle with salt & let drain about 1 hour.
- To make the tomato paste, cook onion in oil until translucent, then stir in garlic & tomatoes (if using fresh tomatoes, add 3 tablespoons water).
- Season to taste, then add basil.
- Cook tomato paste 39 minutes, then puree.
- Pat eggplant slices dry, then coat lightly in flour.
- Heat a little oil in a large nonstick frying pan.
- Add one layer of eggplant & cook over low to moderate heat, with pan covered, until eggplant slices soften.
- Turn slices & cook on other side, then remove from pan & repeat with remaining slices.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F, & grease a wide, shallow baking dish.
- Spread a little tomato sauce in bottom of baking dish, then cover with a layer of eggplant.
- Sprinkle with a few teaspoons of Parmesan, then season to taste with salt & pepper, & cover with a layer of mozzarella before spooning on more tomato sauce.
- Repeat until all ingredients are used up, ending with a layer of tomato sauce & a sprinkling of Parmesan.
- Sprinkle with a little olive oil & bake abour 45 minutes, until golden & bubbling.
- Serve & enjoy!