Recipe by Cookin'withGas
I guess you could consider this a Middle-Eastern take on the usual fried eggplant...Try it as a side dish with your favorite cut of steak and some rolls to round out the meal!
- 1 medium yellow onion, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil or 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 1 1⁄2 lbs eggplants, sliced 1/2-inch thick
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried mint, crushed
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a skillet, saute the onion in the oil until translucent (soft).
- With a slotted spoon, remove the onions to a bowl and set aside, keeping the oil in the skillet.
- Cook HALF of the eggplant in the skillet on medium-high until tender and golden on both sides, about 10 minutes or so --
- Repeat this with the remaining HALF of eggplant.
- Arrange the eggplant in a greased 11 X 7 baking pan and arrange the onions equally atop the eggplant slices.
- In a small bowl, combine the yogurt, salt, pepper, mint leaves and garlic.
- Distribute this mixture equally atop the eggplant/onion slices; sprinkle with paprika.
- Bake in the preheated 350°F oven for 15 min and serve.