Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is very similar to a dish I enjoy at a fabulous Toronto restaurant, Jerusalem -- but the restaurant's version doesn't use raw garlic. I love the taste of this dish. If you're the only eggplant lover in your household (like I am), use a smaller eggplant, cut the sauce ingredients in half, and enjoy this yourself.
- 1 large eggplant
- olive oil, as needed (extra-virgin preferred)
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and minced fine
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
- Wash eggplant well; cut off stem portion (leave peel on).
- Slice eggplant into quarter-inch slices and brush each side with extra virgin olive oil.
- Heat a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat and brown eggplant slices until they are golden brown on each side.
- On a serving platter, arrange cooked eggplant slices.
- In a small measuring cup, combine the garlic, lemon juice, the one tbsp of extra virgin olive oil and the salt.
- Drizzle over the eggplant slices, sprinkle with parsley, and serve.
I am the only eggplant lover in my family, but I used a large eggplant and ate it all. This is a great lo-cal recipe and has a great flavor. I also used the eggplant as a base for some mousaksa that I was preparing. This is perfect for my diet and I ate it all.
OH WOW! This is really delicious! The garlic makes it VERY pungent...but it's heaven for us garlic lovers! I agree with the previous reviewer, it would be awesome with some fresh tomatoes and cheese...or as a luncheon side dish with cold meats and cheeses. Thanks! Great recipe! P.S. One week later I have been eating this as a low carb side all week. Just wanted to add that the pungency really mellows after a day or so. I am making more today. This is an awesome side dish or sandwich filler! One of the BEST 'zaar' recipes I have ever found!
This is now my favorite way to eat eggplant. I followed Kasha's lead and baked the eggplant slices after spraying them with Pam. This is an easy and simple way to prepare eggplant.