Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is a very tasty, easy side dish for the eggplant lovers. I've made this several times for company and there's never any left. We have one friend who always requests this when he comes over.
- 1 medium eggplant
- 1 beaten egg
- 1 1⁄2 cups canned tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons melted butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Peel eggplant and cut into 1 inch cubes cook in boiling salted water 8 minutes, drain Add egg, tomatoes, butter, onion, dry bread crumbs Place in greased 1 qt baking dish.
- Cook for 30 minutes Remove from oven and add cheddar cheese& cook for 10 more minutes.
Tried this tonight and it was divine. I made a few small changes but I am pretty sure if you did the recipe as stated it would still be wonderful. I doubled the recipe and used Italian bread crumbs and fresh diced tomatoes instead of canned. Makes a wonderful and hearty main vegetarian main course.
I also added some herbs and we both thoroughly enjoyed this vegetable dish.
Loved this casserole. The only changes I made: I used can of diced tomatoes with onion and gr. pepper and I used Italian seasoned bread crumbs. We loved it and I am so glad for a change from fried eggplant. Thank you Boca Pat!!