Recipe by Gretchen Lauro
Family recipe, easy and delicious.
Top Review by jaynine
I made this a while back and just realized I never reviewed it. It was fabulous - used tomatoes and eggplant from the garden, made just as written. I served it as a side, but I would be perfectly happy eating a plateful as my whole meal. I couldn't stay out of the leftovers.
- 1 large eggplant, cut into 1/2 inch rounds
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 1⁄4 cups seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 garlic clove, sliced
- 3 large tomatoes, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 3⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 lb thinly sliced mozzarella cheese
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Dip eggplant in flour, then egg and then in bread crumbs.
- Heat 1/4 inch oil in skillet and cook eggplant in batches, until golden brown on both sides.
- Place cooked eggplants on paper towels to drain and season with salt and pepper.
- In bottom of baking dish alternate layers of tomatoes and eggplant, salt and pepper, grated Parmesan cheese and Mozzarella slices, ending with Mozzarella on top.
- Bake in pre heated oven 350F degrees uncovered, for 60 minute.