Prep 1 hr
Cook 5 hrs
One of my students loves eggplant but hates tofu, another loves tofu but hates eggplant. Came up with my version of"dinner table good will" with this recipe. Don't be put off by the time element...read the recipe and find out why!!!
- 1 lb firm tofu, cut in 1 inch cubes
- 3 medium Japanese eggplants, cut in 2 inch cubes
- 4 large shiitake mushrooms, cut in fours (no stems)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 stalks green onions, white and green parts, chopped
- 3 bunches baby bok choy, bite size cuts
- 1 fresh mango, small dice
- 1 cup vegetable broth, sodium-free (homemade is best)
- 1⁄4 cup dark soy sauce
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons fresh lemon zest
- 1⁄4 cup filtered water
- 2 -3 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch or 2 tablespoons arrowroot
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil (light or dark)
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil or 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- Place tofu in colander. Place colander into a large bowl.
- Allow to drain 3-4 hours-up to overnight covered,in fridge.
- Combine broth, zest, soy, sugar and cornstarch in bowl.
- Whisk well and set aside.
- Heat 1 tbls oil in skillet or wok.
- Add eggplant and water.
- stir and cover.
- Cook over medium heat about 8 minutes until tender, stirring occasionally.
- Remove eggplant and place in bowl with cover to keep warm.
- Raise heat to high and add 1 tbls of oil.
- Add tofu and mushrooms.
- Cook about 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add garlic and 1/2 of green onions.
- Cook~ 1 minute.
- Add bok choy, stir fry until vegetables start to lightly brown.
- Add broth and eggplant.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Add diced mango.
- Place in serving bowl and sprinkle with sesame oil and the rest of green onions.
- Serve with steamed rice.