Recipe by s'kat
This crust-less tart will make your kitchen smell like a sweet Italian evening! A crusty baguette is perfect to soak up the sauce!
Top Review by Angela Sara
A really delicious combination. I brushed the eggplant with olive oil before broiling and added tinned mushrooms minus the juice. I used mild cheddar cheese (didn't have Montrachet). The leftovers were put on a pizza base, excellent. Thanks for posting this.
- 2 large eggplants
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans plum tomatoes (drained, squeezed of excess liquid and coarsely chopped)
- 1 (8 ounce) package mushrooms (sliced)
- 4 tablespoons capers (drained and rinsed)
- 2 (5 1/3 ounce) packages goat cheese (Montrachet)
- 4 garlic cloves (minced)
- 4 tablespoons fresh oregano
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme
- salt & pepper
- olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Slice eggplants on the slant: lightly score and lay on cookie sheet.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Broil for 5- 10 minutes, until just turning brown.
- Remove: turn oven to 450.
- Heat oil in pan on stovetop.
- Toss in minced garlic, salt& pepper, herbs; stir.
- Add tomatoes, capers, and mushrooms.
- Heat thoroughly for about 10 minutes, until mixture begins to thicken.
- Remove from heat.
- In pie plate, arrange as follows: tomato mix, eggplant, tomato mix, eggplant, remaining tomato mix.
- Arrange goat cheese evenly.
- Garnish with fresh basil leaves.
- Bake in oven for about 15-20 minutes, until cheese begins to brown and the edges are bubbly.