Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
A whole meal with salad and garlic bread.
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 lb lean ground beef (or equivalent textured vegetable protein)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium eggplant, diced
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, diced
- 1⁄2 cup celery, diced
- 1 (32 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 3 cups beef broth (or vegetable broth)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup elbow macaroni
- 2 tablespoons parsley, minced
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated (or more to taste)
- Heat oil and butter or margarine in heavy soup pot. Add onion and garlic; saute until onion is limp.
- Brown meat in separate skillet, stirring to break it into small pieces. Discard excess fat and add meat to onion mixture.
- Add veggies, broth, and seasonings; bring to a boil; cover and simmer 30 minutes or until carrots are tender.
- Add macaroni and parsley; simmer 10 more minutes or until macaroni is tender.
- Serve in heated bowls; garnish with cheese.