Eggplant (Aubergine) Summer Salad
- Cut the eggplant into chunks, sprinkle with salt, and let stand 30 minutes; rinse under cold water and pat dry.
- In a saucepan, saute the onions in oil with the eggplant, about 10 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, sugar, vinegar, and fennel and cook uncovered 10 minutes so juices evaporate; it should be crunchy.
- Add the capers and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Chill several hours, toss with minced basil, and top with basil leaves.
- Drizzle with a tablespoon of olive oil, if desired.