Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
I used fennel it this for a more interesting flavour, but celery works well too.
- 2 medium eggplants
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 roma tomatoes, diced
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons wine vinegar or 2 tablespoons part balsamic vinegar
- 1 stalk fennel or 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 3 tablespoons capers, rinsed and drained
- salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons minced basil leaves
- Cut the eggplant into chunks, sprinkle with salt, and let stand 30 minutes; rinse under cold water and pat dry.
- In a saucepan, saute the onions in oil with the eggplant, about 10 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, sugar, vinegar, and fennel and cook uncovered 10 minutes so juices evaporate; it should be crunchy.
- Add the capers and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Chill several hours, toss with minced basil, and top with basil leaves.
- Drizzle with a tablespoon of olive oil, if desired.