Prep 50 mins
Cook 0 mins
I like to serve this dish as an entree for my vegetarian neighbors using large portobellos, but you can also enjoy them as appetizers in small, meaty crimini mushrooms. This recipe is just to serve two people using large button mushrooms, so double or triple it for a larger group.
- 6 large mushrooms, stems removed and chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup eggplant, peeled and finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- salt and pepper
- 1 pinch cayenne
- 3 tablespoons fresh breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated
- 6 tablespoons mozzarella cheese, grated
- In a skillet cook the chopped stems, eggplant, onion and garlic in the butter, stirring for 8 to 10 minutes or until softened and all the liquid is evaporated.
- Transfer the mixture to a small bowl and stir in the bread crumbs, Parmesan, salt and pepper and cayenne.
- Divide the filling among the caps, packing it slightly and bake the mushrooms in a baking dish in a preheated 400 degree oven for 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle on the mozzarella cheese and continue baking for about 10 more minutes or until cheese is melted and slightly brown.