Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
Simple savoury stir-fry.
- 5 Chinese eggplants (2 lb)
- 44.37 ml peanut oil
- 14.79 ml sesame oil
- ginger, fresh, 1 inch piece
- 1 red chili pepper
- 118.29 ml chicken broth
- 44.37 ml soy sauce
- 14.79 ml rice vinegar
- 14.79 ml brown sugar
- 14.79 ml cornstarch
- 14.79 ml sesame seeds
- cilantro leaf (to garnish)
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- Cut eggplants in half lengthwise, then into 1 inch wedges crosswise. Season with salt and pepper.
- Stir-fry eggplant in batches until seared and sticky, about 3 minutes per batch. Add more oil as needed.
- Remove eggplant from pan.
- Stir-fry green onions, ginger, garlic, and chile for 1 minute.
- Add chicken broth to the pan.
- In a small bowl, combine soy sauce, vinegar, sugar, and cornstarch.
- Add mixture to the pan and cook for another minute.
- Add eggplant to the pan and toss until the sauce is absorbed.
- Serve over rice. Garnish with sesame seeds and cilantro leaves.
My husband and I found this ecipe to be very tasty. However, my son found it a little bitter. I used a large variety of tiny eggplant - white, black, Japanese, long green and yellow. Also, I used white sugar and added some bean sprouts just before serving.