Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
This recipe makes a great appetizer, a fun way to eat your eggplant!
- 3 lbs eggplants
- 1 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- oil (for frying)
- Peel and cut eggplant into 3 X 1/2 inch sticks.
- Soak in ice water a half hour.
- Mix breadcrumbs, salt and pepper.
- Dip eggplant into combined egg and milk, then inches.
- crumbs; chill 30 minutes.
- Heat oil to 350°F at a depth of 1 inch in large fry pan and cook sticks 10-12 at a time until golden brown, turning once, about 2 minutes.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Serve with your favorite dip (ranch, ketchup, marinara, sweet and sour, mayonnaise mixed with soy sauce, etc.).
very simple to prepare. instead of frying i sprays a baking dish with cooking spray and baked these for 30 minutes in a 400 degree oven, turning after 15 minutes.. they tasted just like fried with alot less fat
Ok, so I didn't follow this recipe exactly, but I feel as though I should give it a review anyway because what I did came as an idea from viewing this recipe! I didn't have eggs, so I dipped the eggplant in a little mixture of mayonnaise and milk before rolling them in breadcrumbs. I also wanted a bit healthier verson, so instead of frying, I baked them in the oven for about 20-25 minutes. They came out absolutely delicious, especially dipped in a little ketchup!!!
I made almost this exact same recipe last night, except I didn't make nearly this much. Just wanted to mention a few substitutes I made because I was out of ingredients (empty cupboards), and needed to eat my eggplant or toss it. I peeled my eggplant. I didn't have any breadcrumbs, so I crushed up whole wheat Ritz crackers. I also didn't have any milk, so I used some water instead. I also wanted to mix in some Parmesan cheese with the crumbs, but didn't have any. One other step I added was dipping them in salt and pepper seasoned flour before dipping them in the crumbs. I didn't fry these, but put them on a sprayed pan, in a 450 degree oven for 15 minutes, and didn't have to turn them. It only took me about 25 minutes total to make these. We served ours with a marinara/spaghetti sauce. They were wonderful!!