Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
After spending more than 24 hours waiting in the hospital while my step father had open heart surgery I decided it was time to ditch meat and pork. Since I love eggplant it was a perfect base for a savory and thick stew.
- 1 medium eggplant
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (16 ounce) can white kidney beans
- 2 cups Baby Spinach
- 1 small onion
- 2 teaspoons crushed garlic
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese
- Peel and cube eggplant.
- Sprinkle lemon juice and salt on each side of eggplant.
- Chop onion.
- On medium heat sauté eggplant in 1/4 cup canola oil with chopped onion (usually just a few minutes until eggplant no longer looks spongy).
- Drain eggplant on paper towels to remove excess oil.
- Drain and rinse white kidney beans.
- In large stock pot add crushed tomatoes, oregano, white kidney beans, garlic.
- Cook on low until bubbly.
- Ten minutes before serving add parmesan cheese and spinach.
- Can be served as a stew, over rice, with pasta or crusty bread.