Recipe by Wise1
There are never leftovers when I make this dish.
Top Review by ruta2
This recipe is the best one I have ever used for yellow squash and eggplant. I did modify, no mushrooms, red, yellow and orange sweet peppers instead of green bell peppers and I added cooked sweet Italian sausage to it, but yummy! It was perfect. We're going to make it for friends soon.
- 6 cups eggplants, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 4 cups yellow squash, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 4 tablespoons margarine
- 1 cup onion, fine diced
- 1 cup bell pepper, fine diced
- 1⁄2 cup celery, fine diced
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup plain flour
- 1⁄2 cup light cream
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 cup canned sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
Directions See How It's Made
- Parboil eggplant and squash for two minutes, drain and set aside.
- Heat margarine in sauce pan.
- Saute onion, bell pepper and celery for 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, cook 2 minutes more.
- Add salt black pepper and flour.
- Stir until flour is absorbed.
- Stir in the cream and cheese.
- Remove from heat.
- Add mushrooms to the eggplant-squash mixture.
- Stir in the cream mixture.
- Turn into a lightly buttered 2 quart baking dish.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle evenly with bread crumbs and bake another 15 minutes or until browned.
- Makes 8 servings.