Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
There are never leftovers when I make this dish.
Make and share this Eggplant (Aubergine) -Squash Casserole recipe from Food.com.
- 6 cups eggplants, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 4 cups yellow squash, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 4 tablespoons margarine
- 1 cup onion, fine diced
- 1 cup bell pepper, fine diced
- 1⁄2 cup celery, fine diced
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup plain flour
- 1⁄2 cup light cream
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 cup canned sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- Parboil eggplant and squash for two minutes, drain and set aside.
- Heat margarine in sauce pan.
- Saute onion, bell pepper and celery for 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, cook 2 minutes more.
- Add salt black pepper and flour.
- Stir until flour is absorbed.
- Stir in the cream and cheese.
- Remove from heat.
- Add mushrooms to the eggplant-squash mixture.
- Stir in the cream mixture.
- Turn into a lightly buttered 2 quart baking dish.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle evenly with bread crumbs and bake another 15 minutes or until browned.
- Makes 8 servings.
This recipe is the best one I have ever used for yellow squash and eggplant. I did modify, no mushrooms, red, yellow and orange sweet peppers instead of green bell peppers and I added cooked sweet Italian sausage to it, but yummy! It was perfect. We're going to make it for friends soon.
This is all I need for dinner-it's delicious. I used red bell pepper and liked the color it added and I had fresh mushrooms on hand. I've been trying to cut back on saturated fat and white flour so I used a mix of olive oil and a bit of butter, and whole wheat flour and whole wheat breadcrumbs and thought the result was perfectly fine. Maybe not exactly what Memaw had in mind but it worked well for me.