Prep 2 hrs
Cook 15 mins
Just in case you're looking for a different way to fix eggplant, this looked quite tasty. (Prep time includes time spread needs to chill)
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 medium eggplant, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3⁄4 cup vegetable juice (like V8)
- 1⁄2 cup toasted chopped pine nuts
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- pita bread, wedges
- In skillet, over medium heat, in hot oil, cook eggplant, onion, and garlic about 15 minutes or until eggplant is tender, stirring often.
- In covered blender or food processor, blend eggplant mixture till smooth.
- In medium bowl, combine eggplant mixture, vegetable juice, pine nuts, parsley, soy sauce, sugar and pepper.
- Stir until thoroughly mixed.
- Cover; chill until serving time, at least 2 hours.
- Serve with pita bread wedges.
Oh my, Martha, if you haven't made this yet, you should!! I didn't have any V8, so I used diced tomato juice and added cumin/cayenne pepper/chili powder until it tasted about right. I also added, I think, about 4 more cloves of garlic (so about 5). (need the embarrassed emoticon here--I'm a garlic hedonist!) Also, I forgot to peel the eggplant until it was diced (whoops!!) so I just left it. After it had cooked for awhile in the pan it was fine when I put it in the food processor--the skin wasn't tough any longer!! Thank you for posting this excellent recipe. Also, I toasted my pita bread wedges in the oven with Pam at 450 degrees before serving it.