Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe is derived from one found in the Better Homes and Gardens Casserole Cookbook many years ago.
- 453.59 g lean ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 14.79 ml minced garlic
- 118.29 ml chopped celery
- 226.79 g can tomato sauce
- 118.29 ml water
- 3.69 ml dried oregano, lightly crushed
- 2.46 ml chili powder, more to taste
- 1 medium eggplant, unpeeled, cut in 1/2 " thick slices
- 236.59-473.18 ml shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- freshly grated parmesan cheese, as accompaniment
- Sprinkle eggplant heavily with salt.
- Let stand for 15 minutes on paper towels to drain bitter juice.
- Rinse and pat dry.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Cook beef, onion, garlic, and celery in a skillet until meat is browned, crumbling meat as it cooks.
- Drain excess grease.
- Stir in tomato sauce, water, oregano and chili powder, and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Bury eggplant slices in meat sauce, cover, and simmer until eggplant is tender.
- Top with cheese and sprinkle with paprika.
- Cover, and continue cooking until cheese is melted.
- Serve with Parmesan cheese on the side.
Very good recipe. I substitute tofu for eggplant for a healthy variation. You need to have a good tasting tomato sauce in order to have a very tastey sauce. Thanks for sharing the recipe!