1/2 Photos of Eggplant (Aubergine) Skillet
Toby Jermain's Note:
This recipe is derived from one found in the Better Homes and Gardens Casserole Cookbook many years ago.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano, lightly crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder, more to taste
- 1 medium eggplant, unpeeled, cut in 1/2 " thick slices
- 1 -2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- freshly grated parmesan cheese, as accompaniment
- 1Sprinkle eggplant heavily with salt.
- 2Let stand for 15 minutes on paper towels to drain bitter juice.
- 3Rinse and pat dry.
- 4Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 5Cook beef, onion, garlic, and celery in a skillet until meat is browned, crumbling meat as it cooks.
- 6Drain excess grease.
- 7Stir in tomato sauce, water, oregano and chili powder, and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 8Bury eggplant slices in meat sauce, cover, and simmer until eggplant is tender.
- 9Top with cheese and sprinkle with paprika.
- 10Cover, and continue cooking until cheese is melted.
- 11Serve with Parmesan cheese on the side.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Eggplant (Aubergine) Skillet
Serving Size: 1 (335 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 386.8
- Calories from Fat 191
- Total Fat 21.2 g
- Saturated Fat 10.6 g
- Cholesterol 103.3 mg
- Sodium 567.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.4 g
- Sugars 7.6 g
- Protein 32.4 g