Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I found this recipe in a back issue of Chatelaine magazine and make it whenever eggplant is on special and DH and I feel like having a vegetarian meal. It's great served with a green salad and homemade bread!
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1⁄2 green pepper, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 medium eggplant, peeled and diced
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (5 1/2 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- spaghetti or other long pasta
- parmesan cheese, for serving
- Cook onion, celery, green pepper and garlic in butter.
- Add eggplant and cook 5 minutes over medium heat.
- Add tomatoes, tomato paste and spices.
- Simmer 30 minutes or until eggplant is done to your personal taste.
- Cook pasta and drain.
- Cover with sauce and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.