Recipe by Barb G.
A neighbor gave me a big bag of Eggplant, I have lots of tomatoes from our garden. We love Ratatouille, So I came up with this recipe for canning.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 large bell pepper, chopped
- 2 lbs eggplants, peeled & cubed
- 8 cups tomatoes, peeled & cubed
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 4 tablespoons fresh basil
- 2 teaspoons dry oregano
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄8 cup salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup dry red wine
Directions See How It's Made
- In a very large kettle, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add onion and garlic; cook until the onion is soft.
- Add tomatoes, eggplant, bell pepper, tomato paste, basil, oregano, sugar, salt, pepper, and wine; stir.
- Bring to boil; reduce heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Put into hot jars and seal.
- Makes 7 pints or 4 quarts.
- Process in hot water bath for 40 minutes.
- This is very good served over pasta with Mozzarella cheese.