Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
These are really yummy and look good too. The recipe was originally from a Family Circle Cook Book. Time does not include 30 mins standing time for eggplant
- 3 medium eggplants
- olive oil (for frying)
- salt, extra and cracked black pepper to taste
- ground cumin (optional)
- 2 red capsicums
- 10 -12 sun-dried tomatoes
- 200 g ricotta cheese or 200 g goat cheese
- 1⁄3 cup shredded fresh basil leaf
- fresh basil leaf, extra
- Slice eggplant lengthwise about 1cm thick.
- Choose the 8 largest slices and lay on a tray or board.
- Reserve the rest (see Note) Sprinkle eggplant with salt.
- Allow to stand 30 minutes.
- Rinse well and pat dry with paper towels.
- Heat a large frying pan over medium heat.
- Add oil to cover base of pan.
- When hot add eggplant slices, a few at a time.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes each side until brown.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Season each slice with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle with cumin if desired.
- Cut capsicum into large pieces.
- Remove seeds and membrane.
- Place cut side down on grill tray.
- Brush skin with oil.
- Cook under preheated grill until skins blackens and blister.
- Cover with damp teatowel until cook.
- Peel of skins.
- and cut into strips.
- Cut the sundried tomatoes into strips.
- On each of 4 serving plates, place a slice of eggplant.
- Spread slices with ricotta or goats cheese.
- Top with sundried tomato and capsicum, reserving some for garnish.
- Sprinkle with basil.
- Cover each with a second slice of eggplant.
- Decorate top with crossed strips of capsicum and sundried tomato.
- Garnish with extra basil leaves.
- Note: Unused eggplant will last a day or two in the refrigerator.
- Finely chop and brown in olive oil with crushed garlic, season well.
- Spread on toast or add to a soup or casserole.