Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
Ethiopia Posted for Zaar World Tour 2006. I'm not a fan of eggplant unless it is breaded and fried. Hope you'll enjoy this recipe.
- 2 eggplants, peeled, diced (did not say size, try small first)
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups cooked black-eyed peas
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- Place the diced eggplant in a bowl.
- Mix the salt and lemon juice together and pour over the eggplants.
- Let sit for 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle on the oil and toss well.
- Gently stir in the garlic, beans, and sugar.
- Season with black pepper.
- Recipe did not call to chill this but I think it might taste better chilled.
I was curious to try this for ZWT4. I'm glad I did because I actually like it, which was a bit of a surprise. (It's kind of a weird combination by American standards.) I made half a batch but put in a whole lemon because mine was kind of puny. I may not have put in the whole amount of garlic, but I used a good knife and minced it really fine. All-in-all, a good salad and if my husband doesn't turn out to like it, more for me!
This is the first time I have come across a recipe featuring raw eggplant! The marinade does work but the sugar is needed to counteract any potential bitterness. I think a quick stirfried eggplant would probably go better though. Ditto for the garlic as I got complaints from 6 year old DD.