Recipe by Pietro
Simple to make. Hold up well so that they can be made ahead of time. Look stunning and taste delicious. Added bonus of being vegetarian. A sprinkling of finely chopped red chilli is a great addition.
- 1 medium eggplant
- olive oil
- sea salt
- finely ground black peppercorns
- 12 large basil leaves
- 24 pieces semi dried tomatoes
- 12 slices feta cheese (thin slices)
Directions See How It's Made
- Slice eggplant lengthwise into thin slices.
- Brush both sides of eggplant slices with olive oil.
- Grill slices until slightly brown on both sides.
- Lay slices on cutting board and lightly season.
- Lay basil leaves on eggplant slices.
- Place tomato sections on eggplant slices.
- Finally place feta cheese slices on top of tomato and basil.
- Roll up eggplant slices neatly and serve with the seam side down.
- You may have to use a toothpick to secure rolled slices but if you cut the eggplant slices thin enough, they will stay in place quite easily.