Prep 0 mins
Cook 40 mins
Courtesy Gourmet Magazine. I think it's the best eggplant rollatini I've tasted.
- 2 1⁄2 lbs eggplants, peeled and sliced lengthwise into 1/4 inch slices
- 1⁄2 lb feta cheese
- 1 cup whole milk ricotta cheese
- 1 large egg, beaten lightly
- 3⁄4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 5 tablespoons minced fresh parsley leaves
- 1⁄2 cup minced scallion
- oil, for brushing
- Sprinkle the eggplant slices lightly with salt on both sides and let them drain in a colander for 30 minutes.
- In a food processor chop fine the feta, add the ricotta, the egg, 1/2 cup of the Parmesan and the lemon juice and blend the mixture until it is smooth.
- Add 1/4 cup of the parsley and the scallion and process the mixture for 10 seconds.
- Transfer the eggplant slices to paper towels and pat them dry.
- Arrange one third of the eggplant slices in one layer on a jelly-roll pan, brushed with the oil, and brush the tops with the oil.
- Cook the eggplant slices under a preheated broiler about 4 inches from the heat, turning them once and brushing them again with the oil, for 8 to 10 minutes, or until they are browned lightly on both sides.
- Transfer them to paper towels to drain and cook the remaining slices in the same manner.
- Put 2 tablespoons of the cheese mixture at a short end of each slice and roll up the slices to enclose the filling.
- Spread 1/4 cup of the sauce in a 10-by-7-inch baking pan and arrange the eggplant rolls in one layer on the sauce.
- Pour the remaining sauce over the rolls and sprinkle it with the remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan.
- Bake the rollatini in a preheated 350 degrees F oven for 30 to 40 minutes, or until they are heated through, and sprinkle them with the remaining 1 tablespoon parsley.