1/10 Photos of Eggplant (Aubergine) Rollatini
These delish rich oven fried eggplant is filled with yummy cheese and fresh herbs topped with your favorite sauce or store bought for ease.If you opt for the roasted garlic go for the whole bulb it's sweetness is very good in this.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 18 ounces whole milk ricotta cheese
- olive oil, to coat pans
- 2 large eggplants, peeled
- 6 eggs
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- all-purpose flour, for dredging
- 2 -3 cups seasoned bread crumbs
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, finely chopped if you have time try a whole bulb of roasted garlic
- 3/4 cup grated romano cheese or 3/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/8 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 4 cups jarred tomato sauce
- 1 lb shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1Spoon the ricotta into a fine strainer placed over a bowl in the refrigerator for several hours. Discard the excess liquid. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- 2Spread thin coating of olive oil on 3-4 baking or cookie sheet pans, or reuse the same pan several times.
- 3Put the flat end of the eggplant down onto the cutting board. Slice the eggplants lengthwise into 1/4-inch thick slices, to make about 15 slices. Beat 4 of the eggs. Add salt and pepper to season eggs. Coat each eggplant slice with flour, then dip into the beaten eggs, drain any excess egg mixture, then coat with bread crumbs and lay flat on baking sheet.
- 4Bake until golden brown, about 15 minutes.
- 5You may have to bake them in batches. Remove from the oven and cool to room temperature.
- 6Combine ricotta, remaining egg, garlic, basil, parsley, 3/4 of the mozzeralla cheese and 1/2 cup of the grated Romano or Parmesan in a bowl. Mix well. Add salt and pepper, to taste.
- 7Spoon 1 cup of tomato sauce onto the bottom of a small baking dish. Spoon 1 to 2 tablespoons of filling onto the wide end of each piece of eggplant. Then, roll up each piece and place into the baking dish.
- 8Top with remaining tomato sauce, mozzarella, and grated Parmesan. Cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes, until the tomato sauce is bubbling and the filling is hot. Let them rest for 15 minutes before serving.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Eggplant (Aubergine) Rollatini
Serving Size: 1 (542 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 5
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 871.8
- Calories from Fat 415
- Total Fat 46.1 g
- Saturated Fat 25.2 g
- Cholesterol 360.8 mg
- Sodium 2770.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 62.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.8 g
- Sugars 17.7 g
- Protein 55.0 g