Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is a delicious dish that may be served either as an appetizer or main course. It makes 18-20 slices, serving that many as an appetizer, or 9 to 10 people as a main course.
- 2 lbs eggplants, cut into 1/4 inch thick slices
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (2 count) package puff pastry (2 sheets)
- 1⁄2 lb sliced ham
- 1⁄2 lb cheddar cheese or 1⁄2 lb gouda cheese, slices
- 1 (8 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons fresh spearmint or 1 teaspoon dried spearmint, crumbled
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon clove
- 1⁄4 cup melted butter
- Fry eggplant in olive oil until dark brown.
- Drain on lots of paper toweling.
- In a large, non-stick saucepan, brown the ground beef.
- Add the onion, garlic, crushed tomatoes, spearmint, sugar, cinnamon, cloves and salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook until mixture is very dry.
- Lay out 1 sheet of puff pastry.
- Put 1 layer of eggplant on pastry, leaving a 1 inch border all around.
- Sprinkle very lightly with salt.
- Layer ground beef mixture, ham and cheese over eggplant.
- Starting at one long end, roll up, jelly-roll style, tucking in ends.
- Brush with half of butter.
- Preheat oven to 390 degrees F.
- Place rack on lower third of oven.
- Repeat with second pastry sheet.
- Make slits in dough at 1 inch intervals.
- Bake until golden-brown, 30-40 minutes.
- If bottom of pastry doesn’t appear done, put baking pan directly on floor of oven for last 10 minutes or so of baking.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes before cutting directly through pastry.
- Note: Feta also makes a good and different tasting roll. Sub it for the cheddar, and use slightly less as it has a sharper/saltier flavour.
I halfed this to make 1 roll. i had to make a couple of substitutions... so, i hope you don't mind me rating even though i did. i think what i did could be a LOVELY variation on the recipe. -instead of mint i used cilantro -instead of cheddar i used feta -instead of ham i used thinly sliced summer sausage. those were the ingredients i had in the house, so i used them. It is delicious and i would make it again- and for company if they liked eggplant. Great recipe!