Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
Delicious! Great when served with whole wheat pasta.
- 1 eggplant
- 1⁄4 cup sea salt
- 3 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- 4 ounces mozzarella cheese
- 4 ounces pine nuts
- 2 ounces fresh basil
- 16 ounces tomato sauce
- 2 eggs
- 32 ounces ricotta cheese
- Thinly slice eggplant length-wise (the long way).
- Sprinkle with salt and let sit for 20 minutes.
- Wash and dry the eggplant.
- Grille the eggplant for 4 minute per side, medium heat.
- In a large bowl mix two eggs, 32 oz. ricotta cheese, 2-3 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated mozzarella cheese (it helps if you freeze the mozzarella cheese for 10-15 minutes beforehand), pine-nuts and chopped fresh basil to taste.
- Roll the concoction in the eggplant.
- place eggplant rolls in a bowl so that there is 1 layer of eggplant that covers as much of the bowl as possible, and cover with tomato sauce.
- Bake for 15 minutes at 375.
Had this on a trip to Poland, and I decided to try it out myself. This was the only recipe I could find on here using eggplant, and it turned out great. Make sure that your eggplant is large enough and that you slice it thinly so it rolls well. Also, I had left over cheese so I baked that separately and used it for a pasta topping along with marinara.