A simple tapas with a presumptuous name. The recipe came out of my fevered and decadent imagination. I hope you like garlic because that predominates here. Be sure to salt lightly at step 1 and 3. You can taste and adjust seasoning before baking. You can leave out the shrimp and increase the nuts Serve this with an assertive dry red wine.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 medium eggplants, cubed small
- 1/2 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 large sweet onion, finely diced
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 whole garlic clove, extra
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1/2 teaspoon whole black peppercorn
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander seed
- 3 slices French bread or 3 slices Italian bread, toasted
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil (or more)
- 1 lb fresh raw shrimp
- 1/4 cup ouzo
- 1/2 cup pitted kalamata olive, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 1/2 cup flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup unsalted pistachios, chopped
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1Eggplant should be in 1/2 inch cubes. Sprinkle lightly with salt and set aside.
- 2Toast the spices in a medium hot skillet until just fragrant. Do not brown.
- 3Remove to a bowl to cool, then grind in a mortar or spice grinder.
- 4Combine the onion and minced garlic and sprinkle lightly with salt.
- 5Rub the toasted bread with the whole garlic clove, and cut into 1/2 inch cubes or croutons. You should have at least two cups of croutons.
- 6Toast the pistachios in the spice skillet briefly. Set aside.
- 7Saute the onion and garlic in two tablespoons of olive oil until translucent.
- 8Add the spices and stir well.
- 9Meanwhile squeeze the bitter liquid out of the eggplant and add the eggplant to the onions.
- 10Saute until soft on medium heat adding more olive oil if necessary. Do this slowly and try not to brown the onions. Stir frequently.
- 11In another pan, saute the shrimp until just lightly pinked but still raw inside.
- 12In a large bowl, toss the croutons, eggplant onion mix, diced bell pepper, shrimp and parsley, capers, chopped olives and pistachios.
- 13Sprinkle the ouzo over all and toss again.
- 14Divide the mixture into ramekins or one larger casserole dish.
- 15Sprinkle Parmesan on top.
- 16Bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes in small dishes or 15 minutes in large dish.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Eggplant (Aubergine) Punta Nero
Serving Size: 1 (377 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 627.1
- Calories from Fat 269
- Total Fat 29.9 g
- Saturated Fat 5.9 g
- Cholesterol 183.8 mg
- Sodium 875.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 54.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 14.2 g
- Sugars 9.9 g
- Protein 39.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: