Recipe by rangapeach
A simple tapas with a presumptuous name. The recipe came out of my fevered and decadent imagination. I hope you like garlic because that predominates here. Be sure to salt lightly at step 1 and 3. You can taste and adjust seasoning before baking. You can leave out the shrimp and increase the nuts Serve this with an assertive dry red wine.
- 2 medium eggplants, cubed small
- 1⁄2 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 large sweet onion, finely diced
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 whole garlic clove, extra
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon whole black peppercorn
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coriander seed
- 3 slices French bread or 3 slices Italian bread, toasted
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil (or more)
- 1 lb fresh raw shrimp
- 1⁄4 cup ouzo
- 1⁄2 cup pitted kalamata olive, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 1⁄2 cup flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted pistachios, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Eggplant should be in 1/2 inch cubes. Sprinkle lightly with salt and set aside.
- Toast the spices in a medium hot skillet until just fragrant. Do not brown.
- Remove to a bowl to cool, then grind in a mortar or spice grinder.
- Combine the onion and minced garlic and sprinkle lightly with salt.
- Rub the toasted bread with the whole garlic clove, and cut into 1/2 inch cubes or croutons. You should have at least two cups of croutons.
- Toast the pistachios in the spice skillet briefly. Set aside.
- Saute the onion and garlic in two tablespoons of olive oil until translucent.
- Add the spices and stir well.
- Meanwhile squeeze the bitter liquid out of the eggplant and add the eggplant to the onions.
- Saute until soft on medium heat adding more olive oil if necessary. Do this slowly and try not to brown the onions. Stir frequently.
- In another pan, saute the shrimp until just lightly pinked but still raw inside.
- In a large bowl, toss the croutons, eggplant onion mix, diced bell pepper, shrimp and parsley, capers, chopped olives and pistachios.
- Sprinkle the ouzo over all and toss again.
- Divide the mixture into ramekins or one larger casserole dish.
- Sprinkle Parmesan on top.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes in small dishes or 15 minutes in large dish.