Recipe by mermaidmagic
No bread in this dish, so it's a good meal for someone watching carbs. This is from The Weber recipe collection. Because you are grilling, the cook time is not completely "passive time". Makes 8 appetizers or 4 lunches.
- 2 medium red bell peppers
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 globe eggplants, about 1 pound each, trimmed
- prosciutto di Parma, about 8 thin slices
- 8 slices mozzarella cheese, each 1/4 inch thick
- 8 fresh basil leaves
- extra virgin olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Grill the bell peppers over Direct Medium heat until they are blackened and blistered all over, 12 to 15 minutes, turning occasionally.
- Place the peppers in a medium bowl and cover with plastic to trap the steam.
- Set aside for at least 10 minutes, then peel the skin and discard the stems and seeds.
- Place the peppers in a food processor with 1 tablespoon oil, and the salt and pepper.
- Process until smooth, scraping down the sides as needed.
- Cut each eggplant crosswise into 8 slices, each about 1/2 inch thick.
- Lightly brush or spray both sides with oil.
- Grill over Direct Medium heat until the underside is well marked, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Transfer half of the slices to a tray, with the grilled sides facing up.
- Turn the remaining slices over and grill until well marked on both sides, 3 to 4 minutes more.
- Place a tablespoon of the red pepper mixture in the center of the grilled side of each eggplant slice on the tray.
- Place a slice of prosciutto (folded to fit), a slice of the mozzarella, and a basil leaf on top of the red pepper mixture.
- Top each “sandwich” with a slice of the eggplant that has been grilled on both sides.
- Use a wide spatula to place the “sandwiches” on the cooking grate, uncooked side down, and grill over Direct Medium heat until the cheese is softened and the sandwiches are heated through, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Serve warm with the remaining pepper mixture spooned, if desired.