Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a savory hearty winter kugel, from Cooking Light.
- 1 large eggplant (2 lbs)
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 3 cups chopped onions
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped green peppers
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts
- salt, pepper
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 3⁄4 cup matzo meal
- cooking spray
- Heat oven to 450°F; pierce eggplant several times with a fork.
- Line a baking sheet with tin foil, place eggplant on foil; bake for 20 minutes until tender.
- Cool, peel, and chop, place in a large bowl.
- Heat oil in a skillet.
- Add onion, green pepper, and nuts.
- Cook 5-10 minutes until veggies are tender.
- Add to eggplant with salt, pepper, and eggs; mix well.
- Add matzoh meal, stir well.
- Coat a baking dish with cooking spray, add mixture, and then sprinkle with paprika.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes until golden brown.
Very delicious and easy to make.
I love this recipe! Although I did make a pretty huge change....rather than green peppers, I used a 12 ounce jar of roasted red peppers. It's a pain to make because I squeeze out the eggplant juice and remove the seeds as I was told they can make the eggplant taste bitter. Thanks for sharing!
This was really nice, and all the ingredients blended well together. It was also easy to make and put together that I may do this again every Passover.