Recipe by DeSouter
A quick and easy side dish or appetizer, and an alternative to fried eggplant strips. Could easily be made into a "parmigiana" verison with a bit of sauce and some good mozzarella cheese.
Top Review by Debbie S.
YUM! Eggplant wasn't part of the menu when I was growing up, but I've acquired a taste for it (thanks to a vegetarian daughter). This is truly quick and easy, as well as delicious and versatile. Even my carnivore husband gave it five stars. Thanks for broadening my veggie horizons.
- 2 large eggplants
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup of good quality parmesan cheese or 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup pecorino romano cheese
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon oregano, rubbed between palms
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut ends off of eggplants, cut in half length-wise and then into five pieces, length-wise.
- Cut across into 3/4" chunks.
- Steam eggplant chunks for 10 minutes and cool slightly.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan - you may mix vegetable and olive oil instead of using just olive oil.
- Squeeze liquid out of steamed pieces with your hands, keeping pieces from getting too mashed.
- Place bread crumbs (seasoned or unseasoned), parmesan cheese and seasonings into a large bowl and mix.
- You could use a clove or two of fresh garlic, sauteed in place of the garlic salt.
- Beat eggs in a small bowl and add to bread crumb mix along with eggplant pieces.
- Stir to mix well.
- Form patties of any size, but not exceeding an inch in thickness and place in frying pan.
- Cook for five minutes on each side.
- Remove to a towel-lined plate to drain.
- Place in a warm oven if you are not ready to serve them immediately.