Eggplant (Aubergine) Pasta Sauce
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet. Mince the garlic or put it through a press, and add it to the olive oil. Let it heat gently while you prepare the eggplant.
- Wash the eggplant first, then chop it very thoroughly, without peeling. Seed and dice the green peppers.
- Add the peppers, eggplant, tomatoes, olives, and capers to the oil. Stir well until the oil is evenly coating all the vegetables. Add salt to taste.
- Now add the remaining ingredients, stir again, and cover the skillet. Lower the heat to a very small flame and allow the sauce to simmer gently for about 1 hour. Stir occasionally to keep any of it from scorching, and add more wine or some water if it gets too thick.
- Makes about 2 quarts of sauce.
- The Vegetarian Epicure.