Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
- 2 eggplants, peeled and sliced 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick
- 6 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup freshly grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese, plus additional for layering
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh Italian parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- seasoned flour (for dredging)
- 2 cups plain breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 2 cups marinara sauce
- 1⁄2-1 lb mozzarella cheese, diced
- Spread the eggplant in 1 layer on paper towels. Sprinkle generously with salt. Place the eggplant in a colander and cover with a plate. Place a weight on the plate to weigh down the eggplant. Let sit for 30 minutes. Remove the weights and shake off any excess salt.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Combine the eggs, grated cheese, parsley, and salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Set out a plate of flour and a plate of bread crumbs.
- Lightly flour the eggplant, shaking off any excess. Dip the slices in the egg mixture, then the bread crumbs. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat until hot. Fry the eggplant in batches, turning them when the edges are browned, about 3 to 4 minutes per side. Place the fried eggplant on a folded brown paper bag or on paper towels to drain.
- Layer the ingredients in a 9 x 15 x 2 inch pan. Begin by spreading approximately 1/4 cup of the sauce in the bottom of the pan. Add an overlapping layer of eggplant, then more sauce, followed by I teaspoon of grated cheese, Then sprinkle with a handful or two of mozzarella. Add another layer of eggplant and continue layering, ending with a layer of sauce and a handful of mozzarella.
- Cover the dish with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover and cook for 15 to 30 minutes, until the cheese begins to brown and the sauce is bubbling. Serve.