Recipe by wizkid
This comes from Linda McCartney's Home Cooking. I have made it several times, it is very good. Serve it with tagliatelli and a crisp green salad.
- 2 eggplants
- 8 -10 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 (14 ounce) cans chopped tomatoes
- 1 (5 ounce) can tomato puree
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano
- 1 teaspoon fresh basil
- 3 tablespoons plain flour
- 8 ounces sliced mozzarella cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Pre-heat oven to 350F (180 deg C) (Gas Mark 4).
- Lightly grease a baking dish.
- Wash the eggplants and slice lengthways into thin strips.
- Heat 1 tablepoon of the olive oil in a saucepan and saute the onion.
- Add the tinned tomatoes to the saute.
- Then add the tomato puree and the herbs.
- Stir well and bring the sauce to a simmer.
- Cover the pan and cook over a low heat for 30 minutes.
- Place the flour in a small bowl and dip the eggplant strips into it so that each piece is well coated.
- Heat the remaining olive oil in a frying pan and saute the eggplant until lightly browned.
- (Add more oil if necessary).
- Pour some tomato sauce into the baking dish and then a layer of egg plants. Continue layering the sauce and eggplant strips until they are all used up.
- Arrange the cheese slices over the top layer.
- Bake in the oven for 30-40 minutes until the topping is golden brown.
- Serve immediately.