Recipe by Dragoness
I really enjoy a good eggplant parmigiana. This one is good and relatively easy since it is finished in the crockpot.
Top Review by DesertRose15
I loved being able to make Eggplant Parmesan in my crockpot instead of the oven on a hot day. Since there were just two of us eating, I cut the recipe in half and it still made four large servings. I used 2 large eggplants, a 26 oz. jar of marinara sauce and half of everything else. I grated fresh parmesan and added some crushed red pepper flakes to the sauce for extra flavor. I served it over whole wheat penne pasta. It was delicious!!
- 4 large eggplants
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄3 cup seasoned dry bread crumb (you can season your own with Italian seasoning, salt and pepper or any combination you like)
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 (28 ounce) can marinara sauce (or your own)
- 1 lb mozzarella cheese, sliced
- olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel eggplant and cut into 1/2" slices; place in a colander in layers, sprinkling each layer with salt, and let stand for 30 minute.
- to drain excess water.
- Dry on paper towels.
- Rinse first if you feel there is too much salt remaining.
- Then you will really have to dry the slices well.
- Mix egg with water and flour.
- Dip eggplant slices in mixture.
- Saute a few slices at a time quickly in hot olive oil.
- You just want to seal and slightly colour the eggplant.
- Combine seasoned breadcrumbs with the Parmesan cheese.
- In crockpot, layer 1/4 of the eggplant, top with 1/4 of the crumbs, 1/4 of the marinara sauce and 1/4 of the mozzarella.
- Repeat three times to make four layers.
- Cover and cook on low 4 to 5 hours.