Prep 45 mins
Cook 5 hrs
I really enjoy a good eggplant parmigiana. This one is good and relatively easy since it is finished in the crockpot.
- Peel eggplant and cut into 1/2" slices; place in a colander in layers, sprinkling each layer with salt, and let stand for 30 minute.
- to drain excess water.
- Dry on paper towels.
- Rinse first if you feel there is too much salt remaining.
- Then you will really have to dry the slices well.
- Mix egg with water and flour.
- Dip eggplant slices in mixture.
- Saute a few slices at a time quickly in hot olive oil.
- You just want to seal and slightly colour the eggplant.
- Combine seasoned breadcrumbs with the Parmesan cheese.
- In crockpot, layer 1/4 of the eggplant, top with 1/4 of the crumbs, 1/4 of the marinara sauce and 1/4 of the mozzarella.
- Repeat three times to make four layers.
- Cover and cook on low 4 to 5 hours.
I loved being able to make Eggplant Parmesan in my crockpot instead of the oven on a hot day. Since there were just two of us eating, I cut the recipe in half and it still made four large servings. I used 2 large eggplants, a 26 oz. jar of marinara sauce and half of everything else. I grated fresh parmesan and added some crushed red pepper flakes to the sauce for extra flavor. I served it over whole wheat penne pasta. It was delicious!!
I made this a few months ago and forgot to review it! No one else in my family had a chance to try this, because I CONSUMED IT UTTERLY! How delicious! Make sure you use a decent quality mozzarella and marinara sauce for best results. YUM!