Recipe by ChefRaylene
A very rich version. This can be prepared a day ahead and cooked just before serving. This is from my 365 Easy Italian Recipes cook book I purchased in 1991. This is by far the best recipe I have found and made. You will need Besciamella Sauce Besciamella Sauce for this. I couldn't add it to the ingredients. Don't let this recipe scare you. It is easy to make. I hope you will enjoy it just as much as we have.
Top Review by Smokey Garguillo
I had some eggplant in the garden that were ready to pick, so I tried this recipe. If you pace yourself, it is not so complicated. I found the Besciamella Sauce was easy to make and it did make the dish taste great. I think that the next time I will use my own judgement on the sauce and cheese layers however.
- 2 eggplants
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 3 eggs
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 1⁄2 cups dry breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup olive oil
- 3 1⁄2 cups marinara sauce
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Trim ends and peel skin from eggplant. Slice eggplant into 1/4" rounds. Sprinkle with salt and layer in colander. Place a plate with a weight on top and let drain 35-40 minutes. Pat slices dry with paper towels.
- Spread flour on a flat plate or sheet of wax paper. In a wide shallow bowl, beat eggs and water until well blended. On another plate or paper, combine bread crumbs with salt and pepper. Dredge eggplant slices in flour. Dip in beaten egg, then dredge in seasoned bread crumbs; pat gently to help crumbs adhere.
- In a large frying pan, heat 1/2 c olive oil over medium heat. Add 3-4 slices of eggplant at a time and cook 3-4 minutes, or until golden brown on both sides. Remove eggplant to drain on paper towels while cooking remaining slices. Add remaining oil to pan as needed.
- Spread 1/2 c marinara sauce over bottom of 13X9" baking dish. Place a single layer of eggplant on sauce. Spread 1/2 c besciamella sauce over eggplant; top with 1 cup marinara sauce, 1/4 c mozzarella, and 2 tbls parmesan cheese. Make 3 more layers, ending with the parmesan cheese.
- Bake 30 minutes at 350, until bubbly and brown on top. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.