This is an excellent Italian recipe! It was cooked and served to us for dinner by an older friend. We really enjoyed it - so she gave me her recipe - and I share it with you. I hope you will enjoy it as much as we do.
- 1 1⁄4 lbs eggplants, peeled and cut in 1/2 inch slices
- salt, to taste
- flour, for coating the eggplant slices
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese or 8 ounces monterey jack cheese, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese (Fresh is better)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon basil, finely cut
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 cups canned tomatoes, chopped and undrained
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons canned tomato sauce
- pepper, to taste
- Make the tomato sauce by heating the 2 Tbl of oil and cooking the onions in it until soft- not brown.
- Add the rest of the Tomato Sauce ingredients and simmer with the pan partially covered for about 40 minutes.
- While that is simmering, oil a shallow 1 1/2- 2 quart baking dish.
- Sprinkle both sides of the eggplant slices with the salt.
- Let the slices sit on a paper towel 20-30 minutes.
- Pat dry, dip in flour, and fry eggplant in the 1/4- 1/2 cup of olive oil.
- Pour enough of the tomato sauce in the baking dish to cover the bottom about 1/4" deep, then layer the eggplant, Jack cheese,& parmesan cheese.
- Cover and bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes, then remove lid and bake 10 minutes longer.