Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
You will not miss the cheese. I like to make my slices really thin and crispy.
- 1 medium eggplant, peeled, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup water or 1 cup soymilk
- 2 cups breadcrumbs
- 1 (16 ounce) package firm tofu
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen spinach, thawed, drained
- 3 -4 garlic cloves
- 1 (26 ounce) jar pasta sauce
- 1 cup shredded vegan mozzarella cheese or 1 cup shredded vegan mozzarella cheese
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- oil, for frying
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a food processor process till smooth: tofu, spinach, garlic, nutmeg, salt/pepper to taste and set aside.
- Place flour, water or soymilk, bread crumbs each in separate bowls.
- Heat olive oil in med frying pan.
- Dip eggplant slices into flour then into water or soymilk and finally into breadcrumbs.
- Place 4 slices at a time, into olive oil in frying pan.
- Fry eggplant on each side or until golden brown.
- Place on paper towels to drain excess oil.
- In a lasagna baking dish, spread about 2-4 tablespoons pasta sauce onto bottom of pan to evenly cover.
- Layer eggplant, tofu-spinach mixture and sauce.
- Repeat till all ingredients are done.
- Sprinkle cheese and bake for 30-45 minutes.
i actually changed this a bit -- i didn't fry the eggplant, i grilled it. i didn't use any vegan cheese, either. it was still awesome.
This was awesome! One of the things I miss since going vegan is eggplant parm, but this fits the bill perfectly. I also added a few mushrooms to the tofu mix. The only thing I would change is to add more sauce. Thanks for sharing!
Absolutely loved this recipe! I had made it before without the tofu/spinach mix, but it's so much better with it! Even my non-vegan friends loved it.