1/2 Photos of Eggplant (Aubergine) Parmesan Stacks
Barb Gertz's Note:
These quick stacks of roasted eggplant slices and purchased polenta makes this dish easy to prepare. Serve with a salad and French bread or bread sticks.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 eggplant (1pound)
- 1 (1 lb) package cooked polenta
- olive oil flavored cooking spray
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped (8ounces)
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil leaves or 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 (14 ounce) can tomato puree
- salt and pepper
- 1 1/2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese (6-ounces)
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese
- 4 sprigs fresh rosemary (optional)
- 1Rinse eggplant and trim off and discard both ends.
- 2Cut eggplant crosswise into 8 equally thick slices.
- 3Cut Polenta crosswise into 8 equal rounds.
- 4Lightly coat a 14- by 17-inch baking sheet with olive oil spray or brush with olive oil.
- 5Arrange eggplant and polenta slices in a single layer on sheet.
- 6Lightly coat slices with more olive oil.
- 7Bake in a 425 degree regular or convection oven until eggplant is soft when pressed and polenta is heated through, 20 to 25 minutes.
- 8Meanwhile, in a 8-to 10 inch nonstick frying pan over medium-high heat, stir onion, garlic, and basil occasionally until onoin is lightly browned, 4 to 5 minutes.
- 9Add tomato puree and 1/4 cup water; simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally, until flavors are blended, 5 to 10 minutes.
- 10Add salt and pepper to taste.
- 11Cover and keep warm over low heat,stirring occasionally,until eggplant is done.
- 12When eggplant is soft, sprinkle mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses equally over eggplant and polenta.
- 13Return to oven and bake until cheese is melted, about 2 minutes.
- 14On each of 4 dinner plates, place 1 slice eggplant (use larges sizes first) and drizzle with 1 tablespoon sauce; top with 1 slice polenta and 1 tablespoon sauce, Repeat until all slices are used.
- 15If desired garnish with rosemary sprigs.
- 16Spoon remaining sauce around base of eggplant stacks, Serve.
Browse Our Top Grains Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Eggplant (Aubergine) Parmesan Stacks
Serving Size: 1 (451 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 741.7
- Calories from Fat 184
- Total Fat 20.4 g
- Saturated Fat 10.6 g
- Cholesterol 61.7 mg
- Sodium 724.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 108.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 14.5 g
- Sugars 10.4 g
- Protein 36.2 g