Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
These quick stacks of roasted eggplant slices and purchased polenta makes this dish easy to prepare. Serve with a salad and French bread or bread sticks.
- 1 eggplant (1pound)
- 1 (1 lb) packagecooked polenta
- olive oil flavored cooking spray
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped (8ounces)
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil leaves or 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 (14 ounce) can tomato puree
- salt and pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese (6-ounces)
- 1⁄3 cup parmesan cheese
- 4 sprigs fresh rosemary (optional)
- Rinse eggplant and trim off and discard both ends.
- Cut eggplant crosswise into 8 equally thick slices.
- Cut Polenta crosswise into 8 equal rounds.
- Lightly coat a 14- by 17-inch baking sheet with olive oil spray or brush with olive oil.
- Arrange eggplant and polenta slices in a single layer on sheet.
- Lightly coat slices with more olive oil.
- Bake in a 425 degree regular or convection oven until eggplant is soft when pressed and polenta is heated through, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a 8-to 10 inch nonstick frying pan over medium-high heat, stir onion, garlic, and basil occasionally until onoin is lightly browned, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add tomato puree and 1/4 cup water; simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally, until flavors are blended, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover and keep warm over low heat,stirring occasionally,until eggplant is done.
- When eggplant is soft, sprinkle mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses equally over eggplant and polenta.
- Return to oven and bake until cheese is melted, about 2 minutes.
- On each of 4 dinner plates, place 1 slice eggplant (use larges sizes first) and drizzle with 1 tablespoon sauce; top with 1 slice polenta and 1 tablespoon sauce, Repeat until all slices are used.
- If desired garnish with rosemary sprigs.
- Spoon remaining sauce around base of eggplant stacks, Serve.
This was great! Made for a light dinner with some steamed vegetables. We did eat one and a half stacks each, so three may be a more appropriate serving size. I used tomato sauce rather than puree. Will definitely make again.
Really good! I added sundried tomatoes and some red wine to the sauce. There wasn't any need for the mozzarella cheese, they were perfect as is. I made my own polenta and added fresh basil and oregano. It was perfect. good recipe!
Really super! I made my own polenta but followed the recipe otherwise. A delicious, very fresh tasting dish!