Prep 10 mins
Cook 55 mins
Eggplant parmesan is one of my favorite dishes and when saw this recipe in a newspaper converting it into a soup ,I just had to try it but unfortunately I haven't yet. So I'm leaving it all up to the wonderful chefs in ZAARLAND to try it and rate it.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 medium eggplant, peeled and cut 1/2 inch cubes
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried chili
- 3 cups canned crushed tomatoes in puree
- 4 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese
- 8 -10 fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 3 cups French bread (toasted or stale) or 3 cups Italian bread, cubes (toasted or stale)
- Heat olive oil in a large non-reactive saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the onions,peppers and the eggplant.
- Saute 2 minutes Add the garlic,oregano and chilies and continue to saute until softened.
- Add the tomatoes and water and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat and simmer 35-40 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Add the parmesan,basil,vinegar and bread cubes to soak into the soup and thicken the mixture before serving,about 10 minutes.