I get asked to make this dish for family and friends more times than I can count. It's a winner!
Make and share this Eggplant (Aubergine) Parmesan recipe from Food.com.
- 2 eggplants, peeled and thinly sliced into rounds
- kosher salt, for sprinkling
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 cups unseasoned breadcrumbs
- oil (for deep frying)
- 6 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 onion, chopped
- salt and pepper
- 2 (28 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons turbinado sugar
- 1 tablespoon italian seasoning
- 1 quart water
- Place eggplant slices on baking sheet (you'll need two) and sprinkle with Kosher salt.
- Let sit for 30 minutes to sweat out bitterness.
- After 30 minutes wipe slices with paper towel and set aside.
- Heat oil for deep frying.
- Place flour, buttermilk, and breadcrumbs in three separate containers.
- Dredge eggplant slices first in flour, then buttermilk, and the breadcrumbs, shaking off excess.
- Fry eggplant in oil until golden brown, drain on paper towels.
- Spoon a thin layer of tomato sauce in bottom of 9x13 baking dish.
- Top with a layer of eggplant, top with a bit more sauce and then half of the mozarella cheese.
- Top with more sauce, then eggplant, then a bit more sauce, then the remaining mozarella.
- Top this with grated parmesan.
- Bake at 400 for 15 to 20 minutes or until hot, bubbly, and the cheese is golden.
- Let cool for 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
- To make tomato sauce: Saute onion and garlic in olive oil until onion is clear.
- Add salt and pepper and continue cooking for a moment.
- Add tomatoes, Italian seasoning, sugar and water.
- Bring to boil and then reduce heat.
- Simmer until reduced to a sauce consistency, about 30 or 45 minutes.
- Adjust the seasoning if needed.