Prep 1 hr
Cook 15 mins
I get asked to make this dish for family and friends more times than I can count. It's a winner!
- 2 eggplants, peeled and thinly sliced into rounds
- kosher salt, for sprinkling
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 cups unseasoned breadcrumbs
- oil (for deep frying)
- 6 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 onion, chopped
- salt and pepper
- 2 (28 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons turbinado sugar
- 1 tablespoon italian seasoning
- 1 quart water
- Place eggplant slices on baking sheet (you'll need two) and sprinkle with Kosher salt.
- Let sit for 30 minutes to sweat out bitterness.
- After 30 minutes wipe slices with paper towel and set aside.
- Heat oil for deep frying.
- Place flour, buttermilk, and breadcrumbs in three separate containers.
- Dredge eggplant slices first in flour, then buttermilk, and the breadcrumbs, shaking off excess.
- Fry eggplant in oil until golden brown, drain on paper towels.
- Spoon a thin layer of tomato sauce in bottom of 9x13 baking dish.
- Top with a layer of eggplant, top with a bit more sauce and then half of the mozarella cheese.
- Top with more sauce, then eggplant, then a bit more sauce, then the remaining mozarella.
- Top this with grated parmesan.
- Bake at 400 for 15 to 20 minutes or until hot, bubbly, and the cheese is golden.
- Let cool for 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
- To make tomato sauce: Saute onion and garlic in olive oil until onion is clear.
- Add salt and pepper and continue cooking for a moment.
- Add tomatoes, Italian seasoning, sugar and water.
- Bring to boil and then reduce heat.
- Simmer until reduced to a sauce consistency, about 30 or 45 minutes.
- Adjust the seasoning if needed.
I've never made anything with eggplant before but have enjoye it out; this recipe was a chance to try it out and was easy and tasted so good. DH even commented on how nice dinner was and that we must have this again. Only thing that would have helpe this novice eggplant baker more would have been advice on how thick to cut the eggplant. All in all a very nice dinner that we will be enjoying again. Made for Spring PAC 2012