1/1 Photo of Eggplant (Aubergine) Parmesan
1 hr 15 mins
Knight of Ni's Note:
I get asked to make this dish for family and friends more times than I can count. It's a winner!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 eggplants, peeled and thinly sliced into rounds
- kosher salt, for sprinkling
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 cups unseasoned breadcrumbs
- oil (for deep frying)
- 6 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1Place eggplant slices on baking sheet (you'll need two) and sprinkle with Kosher salt.
- 2Let sit for 30 minutes to sweat out bitterness.
- 3After 30 minutes wipe slices with paper towel and set aside.
- 4Heat oil for deep frying.
- 5Place flour, buttermilk, and breadcrumbs in three separate containers.
- 6Dredge eggplant slices first in flour, then buttermilk, and the breadcrumbs, shaking off excess.
- 7Fry eggplant in oil until golden brown, drain on paper towels.
- 8Spoon a thin layer of tomato sauce in bottom of 9x13 baking dish.
- 9Top with a layer of eggplant, top with a bit more sauce and then half of the mozarella cheese.
- 10Top with more sauce, then eggplant, then a bit more sauce, then the remaining mozarella.
- 11Top this with grated parmesan.
- 12Bake at 400 for 15 to 20 minutes or until hot, bubbly, and the cheese is golden.
- 13Let cool for 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
- 14To make tomato sauce: Saute onion and garlic in olive oil until onion is clear.
- 15Add salt and pepper and continue cooking for a moment.
- 16Add tomatoes, Italian seasoning, sugar and water.
- 17Bring to boil and then reduce heat.
- 18Simmer until reduced to a sauce consistency, about 30 or 45 minutes.
- 19Adjust the seasoning if needed.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Eggplant (Aubergine) Parmesan
Serving Size: 1 (893 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 946.7
- Calories from Fat 386
- Total Fat 42.9 g
- Saturated Fat 19.9 g
- Cholesterol 106.4 mg
- Sodium 1665.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 95.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 13.3 g
- Sugars 11.9 g
- Protein 49.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: