Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is one of my very favourite recipes.
- 1 medium eggplant
- crushed corn flakes
- 3 eggs (beaten)
- 1 (8 ounce) packageshredded mixed cheeses (Sargento 6-cheese or 4-cheese blend)
- extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pint good thick marinara sauce
- salt & pepper
- Peel the eggplant& cut off the stem edge.
- Mix the beaten eggs in a bowl.
- Pour crushed cornflakes in a large plate.
- Slice the eggplant into 1/4" thick slices.
- Pat the slices dry with paper towel.
- Dip the eggplant slices into the egg batter covering both sides,& then dip into the crushed cornflakes& cover both sides.
- Place eggplant slices into large skillet with olive oil.
- MAKE SURE THE SKILLET& OIL IS EXTREMELY HOT before you place the slices into the skillet.
- Sprinkle salt& pepper to taste.
- Brown until golden brown on both sides.
- Spray the inside of a large glass baking dish with Pam or cover with oil or shortening.
- Place the eggplant slices, one row at a time lengthwise, into the baking dish.
- After the first row is in, spoon onto the row some marinara sauce& then sprinkle some cheese.
- Then place the next row of eggplant slices slightly overlapping the first row& then the sauce& cheese on that row.
- Continue until the baking dish is filled.
- Place into preheated 350 degree oven until the cheese melts& bubbles.
- Remove from oven& serve.
Alan, a really good recipe. The only change I made was to use flour instead of corn flakes. I just like the texture better. Thanks for posting . . . Janet