Prep 35 mins
Cook 1 hr
Tasty Italian recipe
- 1 beaten egg
- 1⁄4 cup skim milk
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup crushed saltine crackers (28 crackers)
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
- 1 medium eggplant, sliced 1/4 inch thick (1 lb total)
- nonstick cooking spray
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3⁄4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese (3 oz)
- In a small bowl combine egg, milk and pepper.
- In another bowl stir together cracker crumbs, parmesan cheese and dried parsley flakes.
- Dip eggplant slices in the milk mixture to coat, then dip both sides in the cracker mixture.
- Lightly coat a 2 quart rectangular baking dish with cooking spray.
- Arrange eggplant in dish.
- In a bowl stir together tomato sauce, oregano and garlic; pour over eggplant.
- Bake covered at 350 F for 40 minutes or until eggplant is tender.
- Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.
- Bake uncovered for 10 more minutes.
Easy recipe, took about 15 minutes to prep. I added fresh, shredded parmesan to the cracker crumb mixture to give it a stronger parmesan flavor. All in all, a nice, simple recipe for a good main-dish that's meatless. Excellent.
I cut 1/2 inch slices and used up a bottle of pizza sauce in the fridge. those were the only changes. This came out great. I grew very mild eggplants this year and my husband, who hates eggplants said it was ok! That's quite a compliment from him! Thanks for a great recipe.
This was a life saver. we were over run with eggplant this year and had never ate it before was excellent. thank you